Empathy is the most important skill you can have in customer service.
You won’t always understand every customer. You may not even side with them and their service request.
But if real customer service is going to happen, you are going to need to come to an understanding of their concern and still be able to make the type of decisions that will ultimately be in the best interest of the customer.
You can’t doubt the powerful effect that true empathy on the part of the service agent can have in the service experience that customers get.
What empathy does for customer service
Those who can truly empathize with customers reach a higher, more meaningful level of customer service that enables the impact of their actions to mean more than the motions performed.
- You will be more likely to treat the people you care about the way they wish you would treat them.
- You will better understand the needs of people around you.
- You will more clearly understand the perception you create in others with your words and actions.
- You will understand the unspoken parts of your communication with others.
- You will better understand the needs of your customers at work.
- You will have less trouble dealing with interpersonal conflict both at home and at work.
- You will be able to more accurately predict the actions and reactions of people you interact with.
- You will learn how to motivate the people around you.
- You will more effectively convince others of your point of view.
- You will experience the world in higher resolution as you perceive through not only your perspective but the perspectives of those around you.
- You will find it easier to deal with the negativity of others if you can better understand their motivations and fears. Lately when I find myself personally struggling with someone, I remind myself to empathize and I immediately calm myself and accept the situation for what it is.
You will be a better leader, a better follower, and most important, a better friend. All things that although customers may not necessarily ask for, but will when found is welcome and keeps them coming back over and over again.